Five Sentence Fiction - Hunger

8.1.12



Hunger




My mouth waters at the display of rich treats; in particular, at the dozen freshly baked muffins placed front and centre, carrot shreds and moistness overflowing the paper cups meant to contain them. I turn my head, out of sight out of mind I say to myself, only to catch out of the corner of my eye a young boy pulling a three-tiered trolley loaded high with a most dangerous delicacy. A beastly growl escapes my throat but I contain a primal urge to rip the boy’s throat out and feast upon the raw flesh in his possession. My breath begins to fog up the glass I am pressed so close up against it as I follow the boy and the precious steaks, tenderloin, and breasts with my eyes as they cross the length of the grocery store and disappear behind the privacy of wide-set double doors. Defeated, I turn my back to the window and rack my brain for a place to curl up and spend the night but it’s hard to concentrate with the loud growl of my stomach in my ears.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I realized my last comment was full of grammar mistakes. Anyhow here we go again...I loved it! It's very vivid. So happy you have your new blog up and running. Don't forget to link up on Lillie's site :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much! I'll be working on my buttons and links tonight :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job! I agree with Angie the imagery is wonderful and alive. Such a sad story told so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You left my stomach growling...excellent descriptions.

    ReplyDelete

Meghan Franklin Communications All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger