Independent Professional Project (IPP) - Making Mental Health Fun

22.3.13

In the Creative Communications program we complete an Independent Professional Project (IPP) in second-year in order to graduate. This project can be almost anything, as long as the instructors can see the student has given the project some thought and that the project will use some of the skills we have learned in the program.

For my IPP, I have chosen to put on a mental health and wellness conference for post-secondary students. Now, this isn't going to be some boring, stuffy conference full of stiff presentations. It's going to be different, because it's going to be fun.

When people think about mental health, I think the words counselling, illness, issues, weakness etc. often come to mind, and these words have negative connotations behind them. My goal is to try and help change the way students think about mental health and reduce the stigma that surrounds the topic of mental health.

The way I am going to do this is through fun, interactive workshops and presentations that explore personal wellness and mental health. For example, I plan to have a mental health professional administer the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator personality inventory and educate students about the healthy coping mechanisms that may work well for them according to their personality type. I also plan to include stress-relieving workshops like expressive art, yoga, Pilates, Zumba, and meditation. Inspiring keynote speakers who have struggled with a mental illness in the past, or who are living with a mental illness will also share their experiences, offer advice, and probably tell a few jokes.

Now here's the part I'm not sure about. I don't know if students will care, let alone come to this event.

If you are a student, recent graduate, young person, or just someone who thinks you might have some advice for me, I want your feedback! Please help me answer the following questions — and please don't be shy!

Would you be interested in attending this conference?

Would you pay a small fee to attend this conference ($5 - $10)?

What could I do to increase the chances that you would attend this conference?

What are some of the topics you would like to see covered at the conference?

Would you drop in for a free yoga, Pilates, Zumba, or meditation class during a spare at school?

What kind of food would entice you to attend this conference?

I thank you in advance for your comments. This is the first event outside of a potluck I have ever planned, and I need all the help I can get!






2 comments:

  1. I think a lot more people will care about this than you think, with stigmas around mental health preventing a true picture of the frequency and severity of mental health issues from emerging.

    Solid idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Matt! I plan to administer some surveys in order to gather some more student feedback, but I am hoping that you are right!

      Delete

Meghan Franklin Communications All rights reserved © Blog Milk Design Powered by Blogger